Mental Health NP/PA Pennsylvania Jails - 19072507
Wexford Health Sources, one of the nation's leading innovative correctional health care companies, provides clients with experienced management and technologically advanced services, combined with programs that control costs while ensuring quality. For nearly two decades, Wexford Health has consistently delivered proven staffing expertise and a full range of medical, behavioral health, pharmacy, utilization management, provider contracting, claims processing, and quality management services.
At Wexford Health our philosophy is that health care should not be considered a luxury for anyone. We simply care for those in need and the corrections environment is our venue.
?Wexford Health has an exceptional opportunity for a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant to join our team of healthcare professionals at Westmoreland County Jail in Westmoreland, PA.
We’re proud to offer a competitive benefits package including:
- Annual review with performance increase
- Generous paid-time off program that combines vacation and sick leave
- Paid holidays
- Comprehensive health insurance through Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Dental and Vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement saving plans
- Company-paid short-term disability
- Healthcare and dependent care spending account
An advanced nurse practitioner or physician assistant licensed in Pennsylvania, responsible and accountable for evaluating and treating inmates with psychiatric and mental health conditions upon referral. Will act as a consultant to the psych nursing staff. Must be knowledgeable of the nature and causes of mental illness; evaluation and measurement instrument techniques; pharmacology with emphasis on psychotropic medications; emergency care; social, psychological, cultural and medical needs of inmates; and current medications and treatment regimens for psychiatric disorders.
- Counsels inmates on preventative care, medical problems, mental health problems and use of prescribed treatment.
- Establishes individualized treatment plans and ensures the continuity of care for inmates requiring ongoing health care services.
- Orders appropriate diagnostic tests and procedures to effectively diagnose and treat the inmate’s mental health condition.
- Able to perform mental health evaluations and nationally recognized screening instruments as allowed by level of training and education.
- Generally assesses inmate’s medical status and assists the assigned physician with inmate management as required.
- Utilizes appropriate infection control techniques.
- Initiates referrals to other members of the health care team, monitors the schedule of patients for special tests.
- Makes appropriate referrals to specialists or hospitals
- Utilize the SOAP charting format to document pertinent inmate information in chronological order in the health record.
- Completes a minimum of twenty-four (24) CEU’s every two years and maintains RN/ARNP licensure.
- Present/participate in in-service education sessions.
- Maintain working knowledge of pharmacology including drug reaction/overdose.
- Maintain working knowledge of social and behavioral sciences, particularly as applied to the correctional setting.
- Recommend improved procedures, equipment and supplies to the supervisor.
The duties and responsibilities outlined herein are for payroll purposes and are not all-inclusive; employees may be assigned other duties as required.
Standard medical setting in a correctional facility, which includes daily interfacing with inmates, correctional staff, and health care personnel. Temperature extremes may be encountered while moving throughout the facility outdoors and indoors in buildings without air conditioning.
LICENSING: Current Pennsylvania RN/ARNP licensure and/or PA licensure as appropriate
CERTIFICATION: Current CPR certification
EDUCATION: Graduate of an accredited college/university program
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: Minimum two (2) years’ experience in a correctional health setting.